Bring the sunshine indoors with this fun and easy beach ball paper plate craft for kids! With just a little bit of paint and a lot of creativity, you and your kids can make your very own colorful beach ball that's perfect for playtime anywhere. Not only is this craft a blast to make, but it's also a great opportunity to teach your little ones about colors and patterns.
So grab your sunglasses, put on your beach playlist, and let's get started on this beach-tastic paper plate project!
Some of the links below are affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you click and buy. Please see my full disclosure policy for more information.
Educational Benefits of Making This Beach Ball Paper Plate Craft with Kids
Hold onto your sunhats, folks, because this beach ball paper plate craft isn't just any old craft – it's a super fun, colorful, and educational adventure for your little ones! Not only will they have a blast making it, but they'll also get to flex their brains and develop some awesome skills. Here are just some of the super awesome skills your kiddos will be working on:
1. Colorific Learning
By using different colors of paint and mixing them at the edges, your little ones can become mini masterminds in the art of color recognition and mixing. They can learn how primary colors combine to make secondary colors and experiment with creating different shades and hues. It's like a mini science experiment with a colorful twist!
2. Fine Motor Frenzy
Painting and tracing the lines on the paper plate require some serious fine motor skills, which are essential for children's development. These skills help with writing, drawing, and other everyday activities that require precision and coordination. And who knows, maybe all that practice will lead to your child becoming the next Picasso!
3. Creativity and Imagination
This craft is a fantastic opportunity for your kids to let their imaginations run wild and create something truly unique and colorful. It allows them to experiment with different color combinations and patterns, and to express themselves in a fun and artistic way. Who knows, they may even come up with a completely new design for a beach ball!
Grab a book from our list of top ocean books for preschoolers to take this craft to the next level!
Tips for Making This Paper Plate Beach Ball with Kids
Let's be real, crafting with kids can be a messy business. But don't worry, there are some tricks to make clean-up easier.
- Use washable paints so that you don't have to worry about staining clothes or furniture. And make sure to cover your work surface with newspaper or a tablecloth to protect it from spills and splatters. Trust us, your future self will thank you for it.
- Encourage your little ones to get their hands (and fingers!) dirty by using their fingertips to paint the paper plate. It's a great sensory experience and can be a fun way to explore different textures and colors. And speaking of colors, it's best to provide your child with a few options to choose from, rather than overwhelming them with too many choices. That way, they can focus on creating a color scheme that they love.
- And don't forget to let your child's imagination run wild! They might come up with a completely different color scheme than you had in mind, and that's okay. The beauty of this craft is that there's no right or wrong way to do it. The important thing is that they have fun creating something unique and special. So, embrace the imperfections and remember that the process of creating the craft is just as important as the finished product.
How to Make a Beach Ball Paper Plate Craft
Ready to get crafting? Find the printable instructions below!
- Paper plate
- Paint (assorted colors)
- Gather your supplies.
- Use a pencil and a ruler to divide the paper plate into six equal parts, like a pizza. Make sure to mark lightly so the pencil lines won't be visible later on.
- Using the paint sponge or foam brush, paint each section of the paper plate a different color. You can choose traditional beach ball colors like blue, yellow, and white, or get creative with your own color scheme.
- Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Once the paint is dry, use a marker to trace over the pencil lines that divide the paper plate. This will create the classic beach ball design.
- Your beach ball paper plate craft is now complete! Hang your beach ball up for all to see!
- Use washable paints to make clean-up easier.
- Make sure to cover your work surface with newspaper or a tablecloth to protect it from spills and stains.
- Encourage your child to use their fingers to paint the paper plate, as this can be a fun sensory experience for them.
- Provide your child with a few color options to choose from, rather than overwhelming them with too many choices.
- Let your child use their imagination to come up with their own color scheme for the beach ball.
- Remember that the final product doesn't have to be perfect - the process of creating the craft is what's important.
Creative Variations for Your Beach Ball Paper Plate Craft!
Who says you have to stick to the rules? This beach ball paper plate craft can be modified and adapted in so many ways to suit your child's interests and skill level. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
If you're not a fan of messy paints, why not try using markers instead? This is a great option for younger children or for those who prefer more control over their coloring. Plus, markers are easy to clean up and don't require as much preparation time.
Want to show off your child's masterpiece in a special way? Add a string or ribbon to the top of the paper plate and hang it up as a decoration in their room or in a special place in your home. This can be a fun way to showcase their creativity and hard work.
Feeling extra fancy? Add some glitter or other decorations to your beach ball paper plate craft to give it some extra sparkle and shine. This is a great way to make your craft stand out and add some extra pizzazz.
If you want to sneak in some extra learning opportunities, consider modifying the design to teach symmetry or fractions. You can make a grid on the paper plate and encourage your child to color in each section in a symmetrical pattern or divide the plate into fractions and color each section accordingly. This is a great way to reinforce important math concepts in a fun and engaging way.
Remember, the sky's the limit when it comes to crafting. Use your imagination and let your child's creativity run wild!
Snag The Printable Instructions!
Please Share This Beach Ball Paper Plate Craft for Kids
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kids’ activity board on Pinterest.