Society's idea of self-care is so wrong. Self-care is not about spa days, lotions, massages, or any other extra expense.
Real SELF-care is about putting your priorities first.
You don't have to indulge in the latest spa kit (unless you want to), you don't have to book a massage, or go get your nails done.
It's not something you do every few months because your world is hectic, or because you need a break from your life because overwhelm is taking over.
Self-care is done every day. Every week. It's how you maintain your sanity so you don't NEED a break. You want to work on it always.
So that leaves you to wonder . . . what IS self-care?
What are examples of self-care?
I am seriously all about spa products. I love baths, Epsom salt, and using those little face masks to make my skin as soft as a baby's tush.
But that's indulging. Will it make your life better? Perhaps for a few minutes. But that's not what we are going for here. Remember, self care is more than spa days. It's showing up for yourself EVERY DAY.
Self-Care is anything that will help you succeed in your day to day life
When you stop to think about it, self-care is actually pretty boring.
Here are a few ways you can practice self-care and make your life easier:
- Sleep. Skip that next show that will take you past midnight, and leave you with a few hours of sleep.
- Skip the alcohol. Do you need it? No. Tomorrow's you will thank you for skipping it.
- Eat a Healthy Diet. Stop eating fast food, or out of boxes. Eat real food.
- Have a clean spot. Even if your entire house is a disaster (I have kids, I get it) have a spot you can always have clean. For me, it's the counter in the kitchen where I make coffee.
- Plan. Plan out your tomorrow. Do things today to make tomorrow easier. Put out your clothes for the morning, or make lunch for tomorrow. Find the socks you know your kids are going to not be able to find tomorrow.
- Go for a walk. Go as much as you can. Walk your dog. Walk your kid. Take a bike. Learn to rollerblade. Get outside and DO.
- Say no when you can't or won't or don't want to do something. You don't have to be everything for everyone.
How Do You Maintain Self-Care?
It's a funny thing about this self-care. You just do it. Every day.
You don't make excuses, you just show up for yourself, and you make yourself a priority.
Decide today that you are going to get up the first time your alarm goes off, and go make coffee, or take your dog for a walk, or work out.
Self-care is maintaining a life you don't need a break from.
Here are a few more awesome self-care (of all types) posts: